background

Friday, January 17, 2014

What's in Your Stash?

First of all, let's clarify that by stash I don't mean what food or other particles of weird things are handing out in your mustasche. I know, I live in hippy Austin and we commonly refer to that weird eighties lip hair still hanging around on hipsters as a stash because we can't take the time so say the whole word but that is not what we are talking about here. I promise. By the way, I actually had to google how to spell that correctly. Sad day for me.
Moby wrap with itty bitty Hannah

Anyway, what is in your stash is a common question that gets asked in the babywearing world. Sometimes your super cool if you have a gazillion carriers and sometimes people totally judge you for spending all your money on these very potentially expensive items that you will only use for a few years of your babies life. Depending on what circle you run in, sometimes you are super cool if you only have a huge DIY stash that you poured your blood sweat and very little money into. It's all in the eyes of the beholder. I could care less what people's stash looks like. I don't lust over carriers just because they are popular or because they are super expensive or hard to find. I lust after carriers because they are pretty and functional. My obsessions in life have moved on with my life stages. Pre kids I would spend my money on collecting awesome shoes and purses. I still hold on to a few of my favorites but quite frankly high heels are horrible to walk in and cloth diapers don't fit into my cute little purses so off they went. I just moved on to things that were more functional for my time in life with those things currently being baby carriers. I actually started with cloth diaper's as an obsession but baby carriers are more fun to me...and also more expensive. Let me also say that being a baby carrier enthusiast can also be kind of embarrassing unless you are in the right crowd. Some of my friends are babywearers because they want to babywear and don't care how it gets done. To them I am know as the girl with all the carriers. They don't get my excitement over a new carrier or why I would
My very first wrap! A natibaby organic size 6 wrap in emerald
even need a new carrier. However, in the babywearing world there is no shame. There is no need for a 12 step meeting because you have more than one or two carriers. There is just an appreciation and an excitement that people now get to try out so many different other carriers because you have something that they don't. I have actually found it very similar to how pet owners are viewed. You can be a one or two pet owner and that's totally cute and normal. OR you can have 4 or more and you are an animal hoarder and possibly crazy. I am that possibly crazy baby carrier owner and I'm ok with that.
My homemade mei tai.

My project wrap :-) Size 4 didymos indio dyed emerald

Chrysalis Designs Table Cloth Mei Tai

Natibaby Fairyland Fenny Size 6

Beco Butterfly II visiting the San Antonio Zoo
Let's start with what has been in my stash because I have rotated the carriers out that didn't work for us. That is one of the great things about baby carriers, you can resell them for almost as much as you had into them! My very first carrier was a moss green moby wrap gifted to me by a friend at my baby shower. It was my gateway drug so thanks Rebecca!. The next carrier I bought I was a blue ergo organic carrier. It was a
Oscha Starry Night Orchid in size 6
demo version for a local baby store going out of business so I got a great deal on it and bought it with hubby's permission. Then, I borrowed a ring sling from our birth teacher and sadly I don't think I have a picture and of course that was a borrowed carrier. It stayed with me for a month or two though! This was the beginning of the downfall :-) It's all a blur from there but I have also owned a beco butterfly II, a Chrysalis Designs table cloth conversion mei tai, a table cloth conversion mei tai I made and a bunch of wraps. The wraps I have had cycle through here but currently don't live here include a natibaby organic emerald green in size 6 (my very first wrap), an oscha starry night orchid in a size 6, a size 4 didymos indio that came to me with a bad dye job and I redyed, a Hoppediz Pune Turquoise in a size 6 and a natibaby fairyland fenny in a size 6. I THINK that is it for ones that I don't currently own but have in the past. I may be forgetting something but it's been over a year since this process started so I can only remember so much!

So, are you curious about what is in my current stash? I don't blame you for being curious, I always want to know what is in people's stash. Which brings me to my request....I wanna hear what's in  your stash! Leave a comment below so we can share in our obsession even if you are a one carrier household I wanna hear because that's still awesome! No shame here :-)
HORRIBLE picture but here is my hopp pune in a size 6

Didymos indio dyed emerald green by me in size 4

Itty bitty Hannah in our ergo

What Have We Been Up To?

Well, you know the drill by now. It's Friday which means I have survived the chaos of Tuesday - Thursday working and living. On Monday we went to a playdate with TONS of littles. The only time I babywore on Monday was out to the car because I had brought all my current carriers so a mom could try them out. I did try our this amazing ring sling my friend just bought but unfortunately I forgot to take pictures of both! I'm totally slacking on pictures but it's because both my camera batteries have died and my phone camera is really horrible. 

I don't remember anything about Tuesday, I'm not going to lie. On Wednesday, Hannah and I had a play with with a friend and they destroyed the house with toys. It was super awesome and there was lots of happy screams in the house. Seriously, my favorite. We also went to the Mall in the evening and my loving husband took me to buy new bras. This is a huge process for me because bra's are like jeans, you have to try on a gazillion to find just one that fits right. Anyway, he wore Hannah at the Mall so I could try on by myself. Yesterday we didn't babywear at all because Hannah spent most of the evening with Meemaw and Peepaw while we worked on the sink because the handle randomly broke on me on Wednesday! 

Stay tuned because tomorrow I'm going to unleash my current stash on you. Prepare for your mind the be blown...or for the opportunity to totally judge me and call me that crazy carrier lady! Don't forget to leave a comment :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
My husband, William and I moved to Austin in July of 2008. We own two chihuahuas and a sickly cat that will never die. We are proud homeowners in a very stepwives looking neighborhood and are friendly with almost all the neighbors (the ones we like at least). We have been blessed with one beautiful baby girl and have another baby on the way of yet to be determined gender.