background

Sunday, January 26, 2014

The Places You Will Go

Since we are just coming off of the stroller topic, lets talk about the things that babywearing allows you to do that would either be made difficult or impossible with a stroller! Babywearing allows your child to become an extension of your body. It compacts two people into the smallest possible space which makes the impossible, possible for parents.
Out back at the fire pit keeping warm!

Every Day Activities

  • Cleaning up - sure you can put your child in a pack and play or activity bouncer or even for some tummy time on the floor but my child never stayed happy long enough in those places for me to get anything done and if she was in the stroller she wasn't happy unless it was moving. Don't even get me started on trying to clean up with a toddler running around
  • Feeding your family - you do have to be careful around hot sharp items but it has frequently allowed me to make dinner instead of heading to the local fast food chain at the last minute because I just couldn't get  myself together enough for dinner
  • Taking a shower - if you have a water sling or wrap then  your problems are solved. I can't tell you how many moms I know, including myself, go without a shower for more than one day
  • Walking up stairs - either in your house or somewhere else, since your baby is attached to your body you can actually walk up stairs without having to figure out how to maneuver with a stroller or find an elevator. I have lived on the second and third story apartments and I promise you I would have ditched the stroller before baby even came just thinking about the chaos.
    Goin up?
  • Breastfeeding - now, I'm not super skilled at this one but that's a whole other story. However, I know that babywearing allows you to breastfeed if you can get it down pretty much anywhere and generally you can't see anything that is going on because the carrier is blocking any view.
    I had actually just finished breastfeeding here!

Lets Have Some Fun

  • Hiking - obviously uneven terrain and off roading isn't something you normally think of doing with a baby because it's just not that easy...unless you babywear!
    The Japanese Tea Garden
  • Tourist attractions - I immediately think of the Japanese Tea Garden or River Walk in San Antonio. The tea garden is FULL of random tiny pathways and stairs and the River Walk, well if you have been there you can understand that sometimes you are afraid you are going to fall into the river because of the lack of space there is NO WAY I want to push my child in something that has wheels on it. 
    Riverwalk in San Antonio
  • The Beach - enough said
  • Busy events or festivals - so many people and not enough room. I pretty much hate anywhere with large crowds but add on something huge that I have to navigate around with my child in it and I would so much rather stay home. I remember going to Zilker Kite Festival with my cousin last year and I felt so bad watching families struggle to navigate with flimsy umbrella strollers through the grass and dirt. I mean, it's possible and lots of people do it but that doesn't make it any more enjoyable. 
    Zilker Kite Festival
  • Boutique stores - you know, those stores that you can barely fit through the isles, yeah those. 
  • Dancing - no lie, one of my favorite activities to do with my child. If I have her in arms at 25lbs + I get so tired so fast but if I can attach her to me in a comfy manner we can dance the night away and have at more than one wedding. 
  • Swimming - yes, you can take your child with you in the pool or in a body of water. When I say swimming I guess I really mean walking but you get the point. 
    Texas State Capital

    The Zoo

    The Fair
I could keep going but you get the idea. I would love to hear some other ideas! Share your thoughts and activities below!!
The Detroit Tigers store is seriously not easy to navigate

The Airport

At the airport
I'm going to tackle this one knowing that this is one of those where people have very different viewpoints. But you know I'm slightly biased so here I go. The first time we flew we really debated what we wanted to bring with us. My vote was no stroller because I hate hate hate having extra things to carry along especially when I'm flying. We finally decided to forego the stroller and boy were we glad we did. Generally how we function is we check a small bag each and then carry on just an essentials bag that is packed in a backpack. That way we can put the backpack on our back and baby on our front or divide the duties so each person has one. I have done this easily when I was flying solo with baby too. There is no stroller to check, most of the time I can walk through security and I don't have to take her off and depending on the air line or flight attendants I can just leave her attached to me the whole flight which is awesome if she is sleeping. This arrangement is particularly awesome since we fly into Detroit which is a massive airport with lots of escalators. The reality is that you are walking the crazy amount of distance anyway so yes, you will be tired but I can get to my destination so much faster if I don't have to worry about navigating with a stroller and I have my hands free for picking up or dropping off  my checked luggage. Easy peasy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
My husband, William and I moved to Austin in July of 2008. We own two chihuahuas and a sickly cat that will never die. We are proud homeowners in a very stepwives looking neighborhood and are friendly with almost all the neighbors (the ones we like at least). We have been blessed with one beautiful baby girl and have another baby on the way of yet to be determined gender.