background

Sunday, January 5, 2014

It's Not Just for Babywearing!

Babywearing is so awesome BUT it can be seen as expensive. I see it as an investment in my well being and my bond with my child. Also, there are so many other ways that carriers can be helpful depending on what is in your stash and they don't have to be expensive! Just a few ways that you can use a carrier besides wearing your baby (some options can only be applied to specific types of carriers, woven wraps being the most versatile in not only babywearing but also, non babywearing) .

  • As a high chair strap since EVERY single freaking strap on the high chairs at restaurants are broken! Seriously, invest in some new straps people. I have tied Hannah onto a high chair more than once.
  • To make a chair into a high chair 
  • As a blanket 
  • As a hammock or swing because woven wraps can hold over 200 lbs. Why wouldn't you want to use it for this purpose!
  • As a scarf
  • As a play toy. I can't tell you how much my child loves playing with my carriers
  • As a containment device. No stairway gate...no problem!
  • As a pillow
  • As a wrap for your belly both through pregnancy and post partum for support. Now you don't have to waste your money on those belly support belts that you use for like 2 months
  •  As a pet carrier (although my pets don't get to ride in my carriers)
  • A table cloth
  • A sun shield in the car for napping
And some suggestions from William
  • A parachute because clearly Macguyver wouldn't be the only one thinking about this possibility
  • To escape upper story fires
  • As a defensive devise if you have to fend off an intruder or attacker (Will says they would never see it coming, one minute it looks harmless, the next minute they are being strangled)
  • For a game of tug of war
  • To carry someone (not a baby) who is hurt out of danger
Ok, some of these things I have done and some not so much but don't you appreciate the variety we have here? This was just kind of a fun family topic to discuss so I hope you enjoyed the outcome. 

Yesterday's Babywearing

We had a busy day yesterday. It was the last day of Will's staycation so we decided to enjoy it as a family. After we got up and moving we went to this AWESOME restaurant called Gourmand's in Austin. They have the most delicious beer broccoli cheese soup in the most ridiculous bread bowl. It is kind of a pub/hole in the wall so we assumed they didn't have high chairs. Well, they did which is great however there were no snaps on the waist strap. We didn't end up having to do it but I almost ran to the car to get a carrier to lock my child in. Thank goodness they brought her a grilled cheese before our food to entertain her. Thank you smart and kind waitress!! Then we ran a few errands and came home.

I tried to get little miss to nap but of course that didn't happen. It hasn't happened for over a week now so that's super fun. So, instead of napping, we went and played outside. We cleaned up leaves, played in the little tikes car, walked the neighborhood and visited our neighbor while Hannah ran around in their yard getting tired.

I kind of thought this was going to be a no babywearing day for us which would have been strange. But then it happened. I had just started making dinner and Hannah got super whiny and only wanted me. Great. So, I put her up in one of my wraps so she could join the dinner fun and she was out within minutes. This is a rare occurrence, as much as we , to have Hannah fall asleep in a carrier. She is a very curious child and doesn't like missing anything. Needless to say, I wasn't about to complain so I continued making dinner, washed dishes and even sat and played on the computer.















She slept on my back in a wrap for almost an hour. At one point her head was flopping around and thanks to babywearing daddy he helped me secure her head so she was comfortable and supported. We rocked it even at 14 weeks pregnant. She woke up, ate a great dinner and played for the rest of the evening. Great, great day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
My husband, William and I moved to Austin in July of 2008. We own two chihuahuas and a sickly cat that will never die. We are proud homeowners in a very stepwives looking neighborhood and are friendly with almost all the neighbors (the ones we like at least). We have been blessed with one beautiful baby girl and have another baby on the way of yet to be determined gender.