background

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

It's No Longer About You!

As I'm sitting here excited that I finally was able to take a shower AND put make up on before Hannah started crying, I completely understand that it's no longer about us. My mom texted us yesterday to tell us happy second anniversary and remind us that it's now all about Hannah. Thanks mom, like we didn't know.

 Since this is my first post since Hannah arrived, I'll give you the down and dirty information that most of you already know. Hannah arrived at 11:44am after 7.5 hours of labor and only about 45 minutes at the hospital. Yes, we almost did have a highway baby despite everyone telling us first babies don't deliver fast. She was born weighing 9lbs 2oz and was 21 inches long. Yes, it was all natural and yes I will spare you those gory details.



Hannah's first day!

It has been a whirlwind since Hannah has been home. Not only do you have to deal with extreme sleep deprivation as everyone knows (but doesn't understand unless you have children), you also have to actually continue living life. Everyday becomes a challenge with new things that you need to reconquer. Things like, taking the dogs out, making food, taking a shower, thinking, and lets not forget dealing with the uber complicated, insurance. Will and I have decided you need a PhD in insurance just to be able to understand what in the heck is going on. Again, I won't bore you with the details.

Now on to the fun stuff. Everyone has been requesting pictures and in an attempt to keep pictures as minimal as possible on facebook, I'm going to try and update the blog with pictures and commentary at least once a month. Understand this is a tall order for a new parent. No, I'm not being sarcastic although I wish I was! So here you are, a few tidbits from Hannah's first month.

This is what I refer to now as squishy face. In fact, I like it so much I have also started calling her squishy. Pray that the nickname doesn't stick for her sake. 
 
We have had a bunch of visitors but one of the most important was my friend Bill. Although, he does make me nervous around babies he was more gentle than Will tends to be an has now earned the title of Uncle Bill, even though he isn't technically blood. 



Since we didn't know that Hannah was a girl prior to arrival, we had a lot of gender neutral clothes. This is her first every day dress that we scored from an ad off craigslist. We are cheap if you didn't already know that.
This was taken last night when we were getting ready for bed. Squishy face and daddy love snuggling right before bedtime and daddy is not only great at diaper changes, but also great at everyday tasks like dressing Hannah in those stupid footed pajamas that are so darned hard to get wiggly babies into.
Some other things that we have learned this month:

  • Little babies make big noises, especially from their bottoms
  • Type of diaper you use does make a difference - please note when purchasing for friends
  • Growth spurts suck - as a mom, you have no identity during these periods, you are simply there to feed and comfort
  • Crying because your too tired is to be expected
  • Other mom friends are crucial so you can ask questions like, is her poop supposed to be that color?
  • Fast moving swings are our savior!

Hope you enjoyed this little trip down recent memory lane and look for more in the near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
My husband, William and I moved to Austin in July of 2008. We own two chihuahuas and a sickly cat that will never die. We are proud homeowners in a very stepwives looking neighborhood and are friendly with almost all the neighbors (the ones we like at least). We have been blessed with one beautiful baby girl and have another baby on the way of yet to be determined gender.