background

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

NO Fun to be Sick!

Everyone knows that being sick stinks. A lot. And when you have a baby it stinks in more than one aspect usually. However, babywearing can help you get through these tough times. When my child is sick she wants nothing more than to be held. She wants to be held all the time, all day long. I don't blame her because I want that too but we all know I'm too big to be held by my momma all day when I'm sick. Not to mention, my mom is a go-er and I'm positive that having to sit around all day would drive her bonkers. And even if you aren't one of those personalities, the world doesn't stop even though your child is sick and food still needs to be made, animals still need to be taken care of and on and on and on.
Sick baby

So the great thing about babywearing while you have a sick baby is that you can actually get those things done and give your child the attention they desperately want and deserve when they aren't feeling their best.
It means for the parent or caregiver that you don't have to feel guilty about not being there for your child because you have other things to get done. You can do both! The other thing that happens when my child is sick is that they want to nap on me. And guess what, that's ok because she can nap and I can still get things done. If I need to go to the store I don't feel horrible that she is touching everything and making everyone else sick because she isn't touching anything but me and my carrier. So I'm saving everyone else too!

Sick mommy
But what if you are sick?!? Well, babywearing can help with that too and in fact I am currently dealing with being sick with allergies and 18 weeks pregnant with a toddler who appears to have allergy issues but is still on the go AND being needy at the same time. So here I am, congested like no other, short of breath and just want to lay down. However, I don't get the option to lay down because I have a toddler and that is just how life is. Last night she was whiney and tired because she refused her nap during the day with daddy and I was left to fend for myself as my husband headed off to work. So instead of losing my cool and breaking down crying like I would have liked to do we bundled up and walked to the park. She settled in on my back, I let her down to play when we were there, she didn't want to play at all so she went back up and I socialized with other moms at the park while she hung out on my back. Was it my first choice of how I wanted to spend my evening? Of course not but it was sure better than the alternative and it was a babywearing win for me because I also go to talk to other moms about babywearing AND about CASA which is a program close to my heart.

What Have we Been up to?

Speaking of being sick, that's why you haven't seen me posting as much. These allergies have been a slow burn in our life and are finally taking a toll on me. I'm currently working through my craft/business closet to get some things sewn and out of the door so I can destash and have been busy taking care of myself and my toddler both of whom are not feeling up to par. We did have a play date about a week ago that I have to tell you about though. 

Teaching babywearing comes with the perk of cuddling
babies and showing off sleepy dust!
I have a friend who actually gifted me my first babywearing item, a moby wrap, when I was pregnant with Hannah. She was my go to mom for everything because her baby was about 10 months older than mine so I could ask her about things she had been through and I had no clue about. We all need one of these friends. So as her babywearing journey was short lived mine was just starting. I went to the local babywearing group when Hannah was about 4 months old for the first time and I was off and running. Now over a year later she is on to baby number 2 with a toddler running around and I have been hounding her about babywearing and the amazing things that it can do for your crazy life. We have attempted a few babywearing focused play dates but this girl is busy and watches kids during the day too so it can be hard to have extended focus. Well, we finally accomplished it and I sent her away with three different carriers of mine to try out and see what she liked. The awesome part for me is that initially we talked about why I have so many different carriers and the fact that you don't NEED them all but that it's like buying shoes, you can have just one pair but who wants just one pair when they are both function and cute. She has been a quick convert after finding the right carrier for her and that has been the issue in the past, the carriers she has been using were uncomfortable and therefore I don't blame her for not sticking with it. I wouldn't have either. I may have watched her jump into the black hole of woven wraps after our play date but I'm honestly so excited that she has found something that works for her family and for her back so that she can have some hands free for her toddler and take care of her adorable little girl.
We also had a babywearing meeting to attend right after the play date and I rented a carrier for both of us to try out with our kiddos. My friend hasn't had a chance to try it out at all because we haven't been able to get together yet but I'm sold on the lillebaby! It's amazing and even as a plus size mom who is preggo, I love it with my toddler. It is comfy and it fits her great although this picture doesn't do the best at demonstrating that. I'm thinking about doing another plus size review on this carrier, what do you think?
We LOVE the lillebaby

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
My husband, William and I moved to Austin in July of 2008. We own two chihuahuas and a sickly cat that will never die. We are proud homeowners in a very stepwives looking neighborhood and are friendly with almost all the neighbors (the ones we like at least). We have been blessed with one beautiful baby girl and have another baby on the way of yet to be determined gender.