background

Monday, January 20, 2014

It's a WRAP!

When you are some random person walking through the store and you see a child literally wrapped to a mama you probably think she is crazy. This judgement is probably true but not in the she's taking medication kind of way but in the she is deep in the babywearing world and has a healthy addiction kind of way. Some people call it jumping into the black hole, they are at least being honest about it. Wrappers are crazy, crazy for wraps!!! This had to be a whole post on it's own because, well it just does.

Nap in a Wrap
I may have shared this with you already but it needs to be reiterated. When I went to my first babywearing meeting carrying my baby in my ergo and eagerly wanting to learn how to breastfeed and that's it I looked over at the wrap workshop and immediately thought, "Wow! That totally looks scary and I'm never venturing there". Well guess what, it took me a whole 6 months of babywearing to not only venture there but buy my first wrap. Wrapping isn't just about wearing your baby, it's about the process of learning crazy new carries that are kinda like learning how to fold a new origami creature. It's also about the fabric, OH the fabric. The designs, the blends, the lengths, the quality, the artsmanship. I can justify wraps because they are the ONLY carrier that will literally take my child from newborn to toddlerhood and will consistently fit them and me perfectly. Do I need more than one, of course I don't but why wouldn't I want more than one! I like diversity in my wrap stash and feel guilty if I have overlaps like I currently do.

But how do you afford it all? I will first turn this question on you and ask, well how do you afford your daily starbucks fix, that super nice dinner that you enjoy regularly, getting your nails done once a month, those jeans you just spent over $100 on. I afford it because I cut down on other areas of my budget. I save a LOT. We have a rule and I don't get to buy a wrap on a credit card. I save my money, I buy on payment plans, I trade for something, I sell clothes on craigslist that don't fit. If I can't afford it, I don't get it! Plain and simple. I also wait for good deals and rarely buy at full retail. So, enough with the questions, let's get on to the stash!

Size 2

Tablecloth!
Size 2 wraps are consider shorty wraps because they are, well, short! Size 2's are roughly 2.7 meters long and yes all wraps are measured in meters. You are limited with this size because again, it's short. I'm a bigger girl and I had issues with a size 2 that lived here briefly so I hadn't ventured back until recently and I only ventured back because I bought a tablecloth from target for $5 and split it down the middle to make a shorty and a ring sling. Waaalaa! A shorty wrap for about $2.50 and no harm done if I hate it. I don't hate it though. I kinda like it! But, I have been wrapping almost a year now and my experience is that much more so I have finally mastered the ability to use a shorty. 

Size 3

As a scarf
Size 3 wraps are also shorties but a little longer at 3.1 meters. This was the first shorty I was successful with. It's a natibaby (brand) stardust (specific wrap name). You will hear natibaby wraps referred to as nati's. Some people like them and some don't. They come in all ranges of fabric weights/thickness, blends, etc. I love nati's although originally I didn't think I did. My 3 is a hemp/cotton blend and I love it. It's cushy and soft like something you just want to cuddle in. It's also awesome for carrying a toddler because it offers great support and with less fabric to work with you can do quick and easy wraps when you are out and about. It is all cream though and has a gorgeous design of unicorns which is what drew me to it originally. It needs to be washed because I have seen spots of discoloration but quite frankly I let the idea of it getting dirty go because 1. wraps are meant to be used and 2. I plan on having it dyed at some point I just haven't decided what two colors I want! Sometimes, I also wear it as a scarf :-)

helping sick baby sleep

Size 4

Size 4 is 3.6 meters and is the first shorter size I would recommend to a beginner because you have a little more versatility in terms of what you can do with it. My size 4 wrap is a Kokadi Sudsee or translated Kokadi South Seas. It's bright and colorful and ridiculously soft. Kokadi wraps are known for having long tapers (the end part of the wrap can range from blunt to super long tapers) so they wrap a little long. All this means is that they make you feel like you have a little bit longer wrap because the tapers give you a little more length sometimes. My Kokadi is 100% cotton and it ok with my 25 lb toddler but not the best support for long carries. I'm really looking forward to using it with new baby when they arrive. 


Size 5 & 6

I actually don't have either in my stash right now. Size 5 is 4.2 meters and size 6 is 4.6 meters. I start with a size 6 and both are great I just don't have either right now :-) Keep in mind I'm a plus size mama so that plays into what sizes work for me. 

Size 7

Size 7 is 5.2 meters long and is currently my base size. That means I can do LOTS of different carries with
Christmas Day excitement in PJ's
this size although it's a lot of fabric and can be super overwhelming to start with. In my size 7 stash are the following. My Girasol Micah's Rainbow which is 100% cotton. I fell in love with this wrap this summer when I discovered it through the mama whose baby it is named after. If you want to learn about their story head over to the Micah Smiles facebook page. You also have to know that I am from Michigan and went to Michigan State. This wrap is full of Michigan colors but I don't care. I can put my school rivalry on hold for this. This wrap means a lot to me not only because of the sweet little boy behind the design but also because as I'm here living in Texas it connects me back to my home state of Michigan and my love for holding my baby close. There's a lot of sentiment in this wrap if you couldn't tell! My parents actually bought it for me for Christmas after I convinced everyone that our day trip during the most recent visit needed to be to Ann Arbor so I could go to Elephant Ears and look at this wrap. Yep, I'm crazy! 

The second size 7 I have it an Oscha Braids Pine. Again, Oscha is the brand, Braids is the design and Pine is the color. This wrap is a linen/cotton blend which is highly recommended for both it's support and it's breathability for places like Texas where it gets freaking hot! Again, I went to Michigan State..GO GREEN...so I may or may not be drawn to green. I seriously love green. I love the design and it's green. Like a pretty good Michigan State green. So that's about it for the story that one. GREEN!
Braids Pine back from the park

Lastly I have a size 7 Natibaby Bikes Whisteria. This was kind of a random purchase but I just really love the design. It's all old bikes! So cute and vintage. It's also cream and grey which is strange because wraps that have made their way through here are generally bright and in your face. I'm so glad I bought this wrap though. It's also linen/cotton but thicker than my Braids Pine so I think it offers a little more support but can also be hotter in the summer. Don't care, I love it. That's the joy of collecting, it's all about picking out things that you love and fit your life. Full disclosure, I don't bike. In fact, I didn't even have a bike until this summer because my husband lent my bike out years ago and never got it back. I have held it over his head this long because I could and he finally broke down and replaced it. I think I have ridden my new bike like three times because bike riding is really hard. No joke! 
Bikes Whisteria helping baby refusing her nap to sleep

I LOVE my wraps. My husband on the otherhand things they are cumbersome and has no interest in learning how to use them and I'm totally fine with that. Wraps can be my thing which means I get to pick all the colors and designs without first consulting him. I love the process of wrapping and the ability to change things up. In my first trimester recently I couldn't stand anything on my stomach. The only carriers I could use were wraps because of that! I could easily choose a carrier option that didn't tie off on the waist! So awesome. If you are interested in learning more about what kinds of carries you can do with different sizes head over to this page. Also, if you want a little more in depth information about wraps head over to this blog. It does a GREAT job at breaking everything down so you can learn more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
My husband, William and I moved to Austin in July of 2008. We own two chihuahuas and a sickly cat that will never die. We are proud homeowners in a very stepwives looking neighborhood and are friendly with almost all the neighbors (the ones we like at least). We have been blessed with one beautiful baby girl and have another baby on the way of yet to be determined gender.